Tips to stay engaged while social distancing
While we are facing challenging times, it may seem impossible to think about ways to connect with loved ones while keeping yourself safe.
Here are some quick tips to help you successfully stay homebound.
- Make a date to have a phone conversation. Hearing your voice may be the nudge a person needs to perk up their day at this time. Even if they’re not available, leave a message with words of encouragement and try them again at a later time.
- Try conversing through web media like Skype or use your cell phone video chat option. You can still make a human connection virtually.
- Host or join an online social group. There are plenty of groups to engage with who have similar interest.
- Tap into your creativity and share with others. Many people are using social media outlets to share their talents around music, spoken words and songs to comfort others.
- Practice Self-Care. Your emotional and physical health is vitally important at a time like this. Short stretches, breathing exercises and even a good night’s sleep or rest your eyes is very important.
- Where possible, get some fresh air. Maybe this is a time to tend to some gardening or yard work. Do a short walk around your neighborhood.
- Practice acts of kindness. Check on your neighbor, do they need their newspaper picked up from the front yard? Do they need their trash put on the curb? Acts of kindness can help improve our mood and the mood of others.
- Do something you enjoy! It could be reading, journaling, dancing, drawing, crocheting or whatever it is that makes you smile and keeps your spirit up!
Remember, we’re all in this together! For human contact feel free to contact our offices for additional resources and supports @ Care2Caregivers 1-800-424-2494.